Laser Assembler II
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Daylight Solutions is a subsidiary of Leonardo DRS. Our mission at DRS Daylight Solutions is to be a leader in developing molecular detection, imaging and illumination systems for use in scientific research, life sciences, industrial process control, and defense applications. Mixed Generation Infrared Countermeasure Laser Systems. Multi-Spectral Beacons for Combat Identification. Sensors for Real-Time Liquid & Gas Phase Analysis. Mid Infrared Chemical Imaging.
DRS Daylight Solutions culture is family oriented, friendly, innovative, and collaborative. We enjoy working hard and have fun doing it. Our purpose is to save lives with light. If you are an innovator that wants to be part of the solution, we are looking for pioneers like you who will help bring great ideas from concept to reality.
Job Location: San Diego, CA
• Responsible and accountable for producing quality work to prescribed standards, with a focus on continuous improvement to meet customer commitments on schedule and within budget.
• Follows written work instructions.
• Works under minimal supervision on duties and tasks that are frequently non-routine, adapting procedures, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment to meet special needs.
• May perform more detailed tasks requiring deeper knowledge and experience in the specified processes and procedures.
• Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned goals.
• Able to effectively communicate with other functional departments, such as Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, and Sales departments.
• Resolves most questions and problems, referring only the most complex issues to higher levels.
• Serves as a resource to others in the resolution of complex problems and issues
• Be a self-starter and demonstrate good decision-making ability.
• Must maintain a safe work environment by adhering to all safety procedures including those which govern the handling of materials, chemicals, tools, and equipment (WHMIS)
• Proper use of required PPE
• May periodically assist in orienting and training lower level employees
• May participate in LEAN Events, “Six S” activities, action teams etc.
• Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization Performs advanced-level assembly functions, which may include: prep, mechanical, harness, cable, printed circuit board sub-assemblies, spray application, and inspection, typically working from models and/or drawings, within Production
Duties and Responsibilities:
• May perform soldering and installation of components to contract specifications, using a wide range of tools and equipment.
• Interprets blueprints, Process Flow Instructions and other written or verbal instructions.
• Responsible and accountable for producing quality work to prescribed standards, with a focus on continuous improvement to meet customer commitments on schedule, within budget and to SPC standard practices.
• Must be trained across all assembly stages, work w/Engineering to build 1st articles by interpreting print/specification with no process provided and the ability to interpret/assemble all units in dept.
• If required, perform all aspects of inspection: in-process, final and source; allocate partial points - 3 points in-process - 3 points final - 4 points source.
• Maintain a professional work space and environment.
• Able to complete a 1-year training/indoctrination into the hired position prior to any submission for transfer within the DLS/DLD organization.
• Other duties as required.
• High school diploma or GED required with 2 years assembly experience.
• AS degree or comparable level laser or optics courses is preferred.
• 1-year experience in laser, photonics or high technology manufacturing is desired.
• Familiarity with clean room protocol desired.
• Proficient hand soldering skills desired.
• Previous experience with Mid-IR lasers, work at a start-up company, and/or work on new products is beneficial.
• Currently active SECRET level security clearance or active within the previous 2 years preferred. Must be a U.S. Citizen and able to obtain/maintain a SECRET level security clearance.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. #DLS